Saturday, November 25, 2006

Sydney to Brisbane 26th October

Back to our Australia trip. Here are a few more shots from our first day at Moonee Beach and Coff's Harbour.



There are a few birds that I'd set my sights on seeing this trip. One was the Regent Bowerbird,the male of which is a simply stunning combination of black and rich yellow plumage. The good news is that I saw some; the bad news is that the only ones I saw well were females, which are pretty drab by comparison!



Galahs are a pretty common cockatoo, but I really like the unlikely combination of their pink and cloud-grey plumage.



Scaly-breasted Lorikeet - a smaller and less colourful cousin of the Rainbow Lorikeet.



There were a couple of oystercatcher species on the sandbar - Sooty looks pretty smart with its neon-coloured bill and eye-ring.



Pied was a new bird for me. The difference between this and the species we get in Europe and Asia is most obvious in flight, when the short wingbar is revealed.



In the afternoon of the 26th we walked out onto Muttonbird Island, which is the headland that sticks out from Coff's Harbour. From the tip we were able to observe several pods of Humpback Whales moving south, not too far offshore. We got better views here than on the whale-watching tour we had paid through the nose for in Sydney, and all from the comfort of a stationary watchpoint!




A reflective Pacific Black Duck sits in the river leading to Moonee Beach.





A Sacred Kingfisher - a fairly common bird that I had contrived to miss until now - so I was glad to finally see one.

No comments: