Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Seabirds

My pelagic booking fell through due to there not being enough takers, so I was reduced to having to peer out to sea from the shore, without the aid of a scope. Here are my slim pickings!





Australian Gannet



Muttonbirds in the mist! A typical sighting of shearwaters. I found it hard to identify these - Short-tailed and Wedge-tailed being the most likely possibilities. Perhaps both were present!
































This last one at least must be a Wedgie!













A distant adult Pomarine Jaeger off Long Reef, Sydney



And a closer Parasitic



Hang on - something wrong here...



That's better!









No camera tricks here - just tricks! I don't know much about aerodynamics but I wonder how the birds stayed airborne!







2 comments:

Mark Young said...

There are thousands of Short-tailed Shearwaters around the past couple of months of the eastern coast. Nice Jaeger images, I wish I was there when it turned up.

digdeep said...

Hi Mark

Some of the birds looked to way have way to much 'tail' for Short-tailed - which is why I wondered if they could be Wedge-tailed. Actually the tern roost and Parasitic Jaeger were at Norah Head.

Cheers

Dave