Tuesday, December 01, 2009

27th - 30th November 2009: Sheffield and the Peak district, UK

We've been staying on the edge of the Peak District for a few days with our friends the McAlls. Here are some pics from our travels.



We visited my namesake town - Bakewell - for the first time, and were very impressed!



Eurasian Jackdaws are attractive, and, in this case, very confiding.



Eurasian Coots are mega-rarities in Malaysia - not so here!



I'm used to Common Moorhens being shy and elusive!



An interesting variation on the normal plumage caused by partial leucism.



A short walk from our hosts' home there was a pair of (White-throated) Dippers, one of which was colour-ringed. The light was challenging and the birds wary, so this was the best I could manage.

Some views from Stannage Edge in the Peak District National Park:





























There were no birds visible or audible except the occasional Red Grouse calls, which sound like a cross between a sheep and a duck. In amongst the vast swathes of heather, I didn't hold out much hope of seeing any, but spotted one calling while I stopped to snack on an apple.



First, some flight views.



Then a pair feeding close by which didn't seem too bothered by my presence.









The call sounds like "Go back! Go back! Go back!."



So I went back well satisfied!

2 comments:

Choy Wai Mun said...

Great shots, especially the grouse.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Dipper,
it is one of my (very few)
temperate country dream birds.
Choo Eng.